Saturday 28 May 2011

Day 6

A day of two halves.
It was raining when I rolled out of our Runcorn motel and was still raining when I completed the second lap of the Runcorn industrial estates. My sat nav just wasn't up to the task of getting me out of the industrial north west and I had to phone Nev to give me a summary of the route (which I should have got before) to enable me to set an approximate course and hope for the best.
I had found my escape route - the A49 - and was feeling a little more relaxed at the point when I got my first puncture of the trip - smack in the middle of Warrington. A wrestling match with a stubborn tyre ensued but I was eventually back on the road and crawling through the hiss and grind and the great north west conurbation - Warrington - Wigan - Blackburn. This is stressful cycling - endless roundabouts, never enough room and constantly peering at the route notes, sat nav and road signs. However - top marks to Wigan for a really good effort on the cycle paths.
After lunch, and despite a nasty head wind, things took a turn for the better. Sis Liz and brother-in-law Rich were Clitheroe bound and by mid-afternoon, in a lay-by north of Blackburn we met up and together weaved our way uphill (mainly) and down dale (not so much) all the way to our overnight halt and the strange, Hark to Bounty pub where we chanced upon a Fish Friday spectacular and politely joined in.
A difficult day for obvious reasons but made so much better by family support. Cheers Liz and Rich.
If you want me I'll be in the bar (wifey knows - she rang the Hark and there they found me)
Jez


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Slaidburn, Lancs

No comments:

Post a Comment