Monday 23 May 2011

Day Two

Good evening Glas ton berreeee. How ya doin? Can't hear ya, how ya doin....
Yes, that's right I'm in rock HQ and ready to rock the town! Actually, we may go out for a pie and a pint and then get back for an early night. It's not exactly rock n roll but then Keith Richard didn't have to get up the morning after a gig and bike to Wales.
It's been a day of mixed scenery and mixed progress. Leaving Okehampton after a cracking slice of toast and Activia yoghurt I was assaulted for almost 30 miles by a succession of thug-like hills, no, make that mountains, and by the time I trundled into Tiverton I felt pretty well beaten up.
However, there were compensations. The first came in the shape of the scenery - gorgeous rolling vistas that I could just about pick out despite the dizziness and nausea which accompanied every climb.
The second advantage came in the shape on an unsuspecting cyclist from Tiverton, who joined me for a few miles and was kind enough to ask me how far I was going. Well, actually....
Lunch was spent in a lay-by just beyond Tiverton, and that was the last I saw of Nev for the journey. Having struggled gamely with his sat nav he resorted to sticking big bits of paper all over the dashboard. This didn't work either and we polled up in Glastonbury, completely independently. Tomorrow I will suggest we make an early start and navigate by the stars.
We're in the kind of b&b that is too grand to call itself a b&b it's simply Magdalene House, and I've already worked out that there must be more than 200 quid's worth of lotions and potions in the bathroom. If only I had a spare holdall and wasn't on the bike...
What on earth are we doing here? I wouldn't have accepted the booking if I owned it!
If you want me I'll be in the bar
Jez

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Glastonbury, Somerset

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jez, you are doing amazingly well!
    Thinking about you lots and would have loved to have done some of the journey with you.Not sure I would have coped as well as you though on the climbs, especially in the rain and the strong winds!
    Sending lots of love and pedal power to you,
    Debbie & Trevor

    ReplyDelete