Saturday 28 May 2011

Day 7

I decided to skip breakfast when I woke to the sound of a howling wind splashing rain outside my window of the intriguing 'Hark The Bounty'. The day was going to be tough and this weather would not make it easy. So once I had found my way out of the still-sleeping pub I hit the road.
Some stunning scenery regularly lashed by full-power showers and slashing winds, were features of the morning. Twice I had to pull over for a few minutes when conditions deteriorated to a point where they became dangerous until I could see my way again.
Sis Liz and brother-in-law were on the road with me again today, allowing Nev a little respite from the sandwich-buying, map reading, lay-by waiting. Their presence gave me a real boost, and although the conditions made the going hard in places, progress was encouraging and I arrived in Keswick, after negotiating the weekend Lake District traffic, shortly after 3pm.
So, about halfway I reckon now - time for a quick health-check and stock-take..
Bike - filthy but performing brilliantly
My legs - still way too short but coping well
My back - in need of WD40 - I'm creaking like an old gate
My head - a bit fuzzy and mixed-up but still sending the right signals to the legs
Nev - Now delivering my bags to my room ahead of my arrival - what a star. However, despite frequent requests still not painting 'Go Buffoon' on the road at the summit of the big climbs.
Mars Bars - supplies getting worryingly low - trailer almost half empty.
Ready for a beer.
By now you should know where I'll be if you want me.
Jez




Liz and Rich providing great support

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Go Jez! Go Jez! (if you can drag yourself out of the bar that is) Half way - nice one lad! Hope you have plenty of Irn Bru in the trailer for when you cross the border.

    ReplyDelete